Pulp Fiction ★★★★★

Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction has been one of the most talked about films of all time, with scenes evoking memes today. References are made all the time, everyday. Me? I’d never seen the film in its entirety but only bits and pieces of it. The what scene. Butch and Wallace in the basement scene. The diner scene at the end. Yeah, I saw plenty before I even watched the film in its entirety. But even with these glimpses didn’t prepare me for the absolute brilliance of this film. The performances are one of a kind, bringing absolutely eccentric characters to life. But it’s the dialogue that gives this film life. Every word of it spoken contributes to the film, and if you pay attention, you’ll find multiple layers beneath this work of art. Beneath the surface of ultra violence, profanity laced dialogue, we look at the human condition. Repeatedly thrown around by Jules, he nails it down when he brings up Ezekiel 25:17, and with the multiple storylines weaving into the finality of the diner scene, I think we’re essentially seeing Ezekiel 25:17 unfold over and over, with different circumstances and characters but the choices they face are similar on paper, and they each make their choices, and here we have Pulp Fiction. Upon the completion of the film, I will never see the memes the same again. I used to think they were absolute comical and sure they still are, but my assumptions simply undercut my expectations for the film, and I think this is one of the most brilliant films ever made.

Caleb liked this review