Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive

Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive ★★½

Aziz Ansari is one of my favorite modern comedians. I've seen his first two specials several times and laughed my ass off each time without fail. After seeing Buried Alive when it came out a few months ago, I was pretty underwhelmed and disappointed. Today, I gave it a rewatch with my girlfriend (who hadn't seen it yet) and apart from a few chuckles, we were both pretty bored throughout.

The problem with this special is that Aziz, upon reaching the age of 30, seems to have reached some sort of existential crisis, seeing all of his old friends getting married and having children, and this is where almost all of his material stems from. He tries to play it off as though as a bachelor, without worries or responsibilities, he's better off and that he's the real winner. But it's easy to detect a sense of underlying bitterness in all his jokes. You can tell that there's a part of him that wishes he was married with children. In fairness, this could totally be me reading too much into a simple stand-up special, but my girlfriend got the same impression, and it's this kind of emotional heaviness that he exudes that makes the jokes less funny than his usual fair.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Aziz. I'm a huge Parks & Rec fan and I know that I'll continue to enjoy any further Aziz specials that may come. I just hope he gets through this phase of insecurity and doubt and returns more to his vibrant, carefree self.