Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I never knew what I was getting with Tarantino's 9th film. The trailers sort of show off vignette's of certain scenes and make it nearly impossible to decipher an actual plot. To my surprise, the trailers perfectly provide that hang-out vibe the film strives for. This is Tarantino's most assured, matured, and arresting film. I became absorbed with late 60's Hollywood as only Tarantino could've recreated.

I'm still gathering my thoughts though. I really enjoy it based on first watch, but a second viewing is in the works. Brad Pitt steals this entire film, and Leo will get another Oscar nomination I'm sure of that.

SPOILERS

And to anyone who'll get upset about the final 20 minutes of the film, go fuck yourself. Who doesn't want to see the Manson chicks get brutally slaughtered by our unsung heroes of the film? Brad Pitt smashing the ginger bitch all over the living room was absolutely one of the best moments of the year. Leonardo DiCaprio lighting the Asian chick on fire in the pool was eye-candy. No one complained about Hitler's face being destroyed in Inglorious Basterds, no one should see it any differently with the sick fucks that is the Manson family.

END SPOILERS

All in All, I'm pleased to no end with this film. Performances are top-notch, direction is sturdy, and Robert Richardson's cinematography is gorgeously cinematic. I can't stop thinking about the film, and can't wait to gather my thoughts more and watch it again.

A-