Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman

Took a couple days to let this one sit in my mind, and it just gets better every time I think about it. I’ve been very excited for this ever since I saw the trailer for it like a year ago, and I was bummed when COVID hit the month before this was supposed to release. But it was worth the wait. Carey Mulligan gives my favorite performance by an actress this year, and probably my second favorite performance of the year in general. She’s so fucking good here, if the Academy doesn’t nominate the best female performance of the year AGAIN I will flip my shit. I also completely support Emerald Fennell getting nominated for Best Director. Her direction is so stylish and confident. This movie is both very funny and quite hard to watch, my heart was beating so fast during the whole third act. It’s such an accomplished directorial debut.

It seems like the ending is controversial, so I’ll just say I thought the ending was great. It really worked for me. But yeah, watch this fucking movie.

Also, this is most likely the last 2020 movie I’ll review until 2021, so here’s my 2020 ranked list. I have a list of 70 movies I’d like to see before making that list official, but I’m definitely not gonna get to all of them so fuck it!

Robby liked these reviews