Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad ★★

This was one of my most anticipated of the year. The trailers were so awesome and I couldn't wait to see something new from DC, a studio that hasn't impressed me in 8 years. Overwhelmingly negative reviews started to roll out earlier this week, but despite that I still couldn't wait to see this. I believed in Ayer, I believed in the cast, so I didn't let the reviews affect my expectations at all whatsoever. But I'm sad to say that Suicide Squad is honestly a terrible movie.

David Ayer obviously tried to change things up for DC. This movie is much more humorous and playful than their previous movies, or it at least tries to be. But for me most of the humor was painfully unfunny and lazy. I only recall laughing out loud like three times, and two of which were because of Will Smith. Back to the first sentence though, I admire Ayer for doing that and I still think he's capable of making another End of Watch quality movie soon, but it didn't come out the way I was hoping it would.

Gonna get my positives out of the way real quick. Will Smith is a huge bad-ass here. Though the movie sucks I thought he stole every scene he was in and I haven't seen him having this much fun in a while. Jared Leto brings an interesting Joker to the table, unlike anything I've ever seen before and he 100% jumps into the role. I also thought Joel Kinnamen was very good, surprisingly, even though he didn't have much interesting stuff to do. The soundtrack was pretty awesome, and it's different than most comic-book movies. That's all I can think of for now...

As much as I love Margot Robbie, I honestly think that Harley Quinn got annoying after a while. Like Leto she jumped right into her role and did a good job but the characters dialogue and personality just aren't my cup of tea. I still don't get the hype for Cara Delevingne either. Her dialogue delivery here is so forced and bad. It's obvious acting isn't meant for her at this point. The set-up at the beginning takes way too long and is way too forced. The effects are terrible, especially during the unintentionally funny climax. The story is a giant mess and is very unclear. And I almost never use this word to describe a movie but this movie is seriously pretentious. It's no where near as cool or fun as it seems to think it is.

Overall, I'm glad fans are enjoying this but Suicide Squad was a huge disappointment for me. Leaving the theater for this I was so mad and shocked, as this adds on to a big string of disappointments this summer. For me I'd say this probably ranks under Batman v Superman as far as 2016 comic book movies go. It hasn't been a great year for that genre, as this, BvS, X-Men: Apocalypse, and The Killing Joke were all bad. We did have Deadpool though (If you've followed me for a while then you'd probably know I have enormous love for that movie), and I also enjoyed TMNT2 and Civil War, so there's that.

Enough going off topic. I wouldn't recommend this personally but we all know no one's gonna listen to me there. Hopefully y'all get more enjoyment out of it than I did. So bad...

Robby liked these reviews