Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time ★★★★★

This movie changed my life.
I am not making an overstatement when I say this. I feel as if I have learned something essential about myself, and about the world around me. I feel reborn.

How do you live up to 9 years of anticipation? How do you not only live up to, but tie up the legacy of a timeless, influential piece of art? How do you send off characters that millions have grown to love and cherish as though they were real people-- characters that are so deep and so real that you feel as if you could reach out and touch them if you tried? How do you do all of this, while also managing to tell a poignant, grandiose, human story of love, forgiveness, pain, sadness, anger, jealousy, failure, success, parenthood, and everything in between?

Like this.

Anno Hideaki is a creative genius. He has a key to the door of my very soul. And his own soul is laid bare here, for all to see. But it is an older, wiser soul than what we saw in 1995 - 1997. It is the soul of a man who has found happiness. Who is content in who he is, and his place in the world. Who has realized that to shun the real world for a world of fantasy is to only hurt yourself further. Who has realized that life is joy and pain, ad infinitum. Who has realized the importance of both. Who has realized that to simply live is enough. To live well. To relish in the dark and light of life. It is the soul of a man who deeply wants all of us to realize this as well.

Not since watching The End of Evangelion have I felt so strongly that a movie was speaking directly to me. I cried for the entire last 25 minutes of the film. And I cried hard.

If you can, do yourself a favor and ignore the temptation to look at spoilers. Ignore camrips. It may take awhile for this movie to come out in the west, but it is absolutely worth your patience.

Bye-bye, all of Evangelion.

Block or Report