Mulholland Drive ★★★★

“It'll be just like in the movies. Pretending to be somebody else.”

I forgot to post this review last week hm hm but it was really good and I like it very much and cried in class (it’s another entry for my “women and insanity in film” seminar) and I just really appreciate the sense of overwhelming calmness and tragedy that Lynch’s stuff floods me with.

while I wasn’t initially too into it, with time and the two women’s developing relationship i fell head over heels in love. wow. Naomi Watts and Laura Harring are stunning. I’m trying not to give too much away in this review but it’s like you’re dreaming. and even when you wake up the dream’s still there, you’re sleepwalking and watching these people try figure out what happened and when you finally realize where this is going... I was so sad.

Lynch’s direction drew me in and wrapped me in a cocoon from which i emerged as a crying mess. it’s almost 2.5h long and still I was compelled by the way it was constructed until the last minute. also I saw many people say they need a rewatch or an explanation to fully grasp it but to be honest you are going to love this a lot more if you just let it sink in for a while and appreciate its ambiguity. it’s that kind of film.

at last, the score. Badalamenti’s music broke my heart. it’s full of longing and pain and SO beautiful, I have never heard anything like it. all the worse because I did not expect it at all. it fully hit me when that first sex scene happened. fuck this film is sad. for a while after I finished watching it I wasn’t sure whether I really liked it or if it just made me succumb to my internal grieving but it actually is great. I think i liked Wild at Heart a bit more but this one’s def stayed in my mind for the past week.

in class we talked about how it is self reflexive and the “folle à deux” concept as well as the female character tropes (as in femme fatale) etc. and we never even mentioned any thorough explanation or tried to make it more understandable. it already works itself in your thoughts by just being as pretty and interesting as it is.

nad 🔪 liked these reviews