To All the Boys: Always and Forever ★★★½

“Life is beautiful, and messy, and never goes according to plan. I do know that love, real love, is choosing each other through all of it, every single day. Beginning and middle and end.”

can’t help it, I love this for what it is and how it prevents quite a few very annoying teen romcom clichés like the typical miscommunication from taking over the plot and instead resolves things in a more wholesome back-and-forth that mirrors the growth of the characters. naturally it’s still overly dramatic but I’m here for that sugary sweet heartache of young hopefuls clad in pastels and loads of annoyingly aesthetic centered shots while being serenaded about NYC by Lauv and the usual suspects. like an overdecorated cake I just love to eat too much from until by the end I feel a tad sick of it but so pleased over finishing my helping.

I still prefer the first one but this is a close second and Fimognari manages the emotional depth of its goodbyes and new beginnings much better than I expected after PS: I Still Love You kind of went nowhere. of course, as the finale to this little YA odyssey it also brought back so many memories from years ago when I read the book trilogy before heading off to university myself. bright-eyed, curious romantic optimism in a fluffed up suburban setting as we watch Lara Jean come of age in between old & new loves and learning about her own dreams of going out into the world, how could I not fall for it? Lana Condor is radiant throughout all three of these movies and I hope she finally gets her due shining time in bigger roles soon

nad 🔪 liked these reviews