All Good ★★★½

First time writer-director Eva Trobisch takes a very subtle and realistic approach to the sensitive subject of sexual assault by portraying it in the most banal way imaginable. In All Good, we aren’t given high concept confessions of The Tale or the global urgency of By the Grace of God and yet this doesn’t take away the power the film has because it all lies in our main character’s psychology as she doesn’t want to be a victim and yet her desire to move on as if nothing has happened proves to be quite difficult when not living in denial.

Aenne Schwarz’s performance is perfect for this film, she keeps herself opaque, almost glacial, for most of the runtime as she can’t afford to let others know what she’s been through wether it be her boyfriend always on the brink of leaving her or to her new workplace where her rapist also works at. The first act shows her making excuses for a bruise on her face that he caused, she tells a different story every time but as the film goes on and this physical mark heals it becomes apparent that her actual health is detiorating both in body and soul. There are times where she interacts with her abuser who tries to be a “nice guy” for this kind of situation as if he didn’t realize what he had done amd pictures it more as an affair. It’s in these scenes that our main character chooses to confront him and the act through what is the sharpest dialogue of the whole movie, she exposes a part of herself that nothing else can bring out of her which makes for a powerful catharsis particularly in two sequences by the end of the film.

A very promising debut that gets better the more I think about it, hope this will find some sort of audience through its Netflix distribution.

TW: Rape
Even though the scene itself is far from graphic, it is very realistic so this could be an issue for many people