Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

Potentially the crowning achievement of Lynch's career, and the fact that there's even one challenger in the mix - let alone *several* - makes a powerful argument for him being our greatest living filmmaker.

There's just no way to discuss this film or attempt to parse it that would do justice to the experience of watching it, and I can think of no higher praise to offer. It's a magic trick, where the magician shows you all of the cards but still catches you off-balance with the reveal. It also serves as a dry-run for Lynch's recent return to Twin Peaks in ways I hadn't anticipated. Not to the extent that either work feels derivative of the other, but it's fascinating to see many of the same preoccupations being explored throughout such wildly disparate projects over the course of his career.

Honestly, this should serve as a benchmark film literacy test for anyone who wants to become a filmmaker. If you don't understand this film, and the ways in which it moves you, on a molecular level, then there's an argument to be made you should be doing something else with your life.