Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood does so many things gloriously right, that it's so easy to forgive some of it's pitfalls. This is also probably the most restrained I've seen Tarantino and honestly as much as I love his style, this was almost a bit refreshing. Everything from the production design, the soundtrack, and the cinematography really help make the movie feel as immersive as it is, nothing feels modern, the best word to describe the movie is authentic. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are dynamite together both give excellent performances. Margot Robbie is tragically underused as Sharon Tate but still gives a great enough performance to leave an impression. The film has a very slow build up and at times it's near 3 hour length is felt and there were a couple of things that almost felt a bit unnecessary or just a tad drawn out. Though it all leads up to a brilliant third act that's probably my favorite in any Tarantino movie. I still don't know yet where I would rank this among Tarantino's other movies, but I can genuinely say that I did love this movie and honestly I could see myself raising the rating with a rewatch or two.

Nate liked these reviews