Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ★★★★★

I read on the Wikipedia page for Dr. Strangelove that Stanley Kubrick got George C. Scott to do his scenes in over the top fashion as "warm-ups" for the actual stuff they would shoot, because Scott was uncomfortable in playing some of his moments to the ridiculous degree they are seen in the film.

Wikipedia says Kubrick used those takes in the film, pissing Scott off something awful, but if that is true, it is Kubrick's greatest accomplishment. Scott delivers one of the funniest performances of all time, against type, in this satirical masterpiece.

Castmate Sterling Hayden is also on comedic form in stunning fashion, playing all his did-I-hear-that-correctly lines with full commitment and without hesitation. Seriously, the first time I heard him mention "precious bodily fluids" I skipped backward multiple times.

There are certain films you hear and read about as being masterpieces and perfect and whatever else. When they live up to that billing, it's a really special experience. Dr. Strangelove did it for me.

Nathan liked this review