The Strangers: Prey at Night ★★½

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the original Strangers, which I only watched for the first time two years ago, but I decided to check this out because it was mentioned on the Shock Waves podcast as one of the better horror films of the year and also having one of the better horror sequences of the year (the pool scene).

While I don't agree that this is one of the best horror films of the year (it's fine, slightly better than the first one, but still not my thing really) I will agree with the latter, maybe not that strongly, but it is a really good scene with some cool neon visuals and some brutal action.

I also liked the ending, that whole bit with the truck and stuff is good, but honestly this movie kinda lost me from the get-go, as someone who was raised in a double-wide mobile home and who also lived in a trailer park while in college, it's pretty obvious that the makers of this film have never spent any significant amount of time in a trailer. The things are impossible to sneak into due to their dimensions so that very first scene had me all, "no way that fucker could've snuck in there with no one hearing him." Also, it seems impossible that truck could've driven into that other trailer's living room, it's too far off the dang ground!

Ahhh, damn, growing up in a trailer ruined me for Strangers Prey at Night, what can I say? Your milage may vary.

Nathan liked these reviews