Le Samouraï

Le Samouraï ★★★★

I have mixed feelings about this film.

For one, I have wanted to see it for a while now after its circulation through letterboxd and its known popularity with Adam Cook.

Entering in, I honestly didn't have a wide variety, or much experience with classic samurai films; although I was told some background knowledge beforehand. From what I could tell, the protagonist is a hitman who lives his life very similar to those seen in classic samurai films; except he lives in a modern world. His character description could be summarized as very distant and secluded from most other people. As well, he always works alone. He seems calm and organized while performing his hit and he always seems to know what he’s doing.

I thought ‘Le Samourai’ was a brilliant representation of a modern twist to a classic genre of film. It was beautifully shot, and the tone throughout most of the film was spot on.

However, I did say I had some mixed emotions.

I felt there were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a bit further than they really needed to; especially the Metro scenes. I got the idea of what was happening, but the protagonists actions were so repetitive (constantly switching in and out of subways etc.) the scene just seemed to go on for too long.

Overall however, I thought this was a brilliantly crafted film, and Alain Delon was casted perfectly.