Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

Shoutout to my boy Movie Micah for giving me his digital copy of the movie. My first Tarantino and wow oh wow I can’t wait to check out the rest of his movies.

First thing I want to say is this cast is amazing. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are so amazing in this. I’m so glad Brad won the Oscar for this movie and Leo probably is my favorite actor. The rest of cast is also really great like even the actors that are only in a scene or two nail it like Al Pacino, Timothy Olyphant, and the wonderful child performance from Julia Butters.

This movie is great from all the technical aspects the cinematography, production design, and costumes are great and makes this feel like it’s from the 60s. The editing was also really great.

I love how this movie is paced and structured. This movie is filled with long scenes for a 2 hour 40 minute movie there’s not that many scenes but man I just love all of them. You’re just going through a day in the life of these characters but the performances and writing are so good I don’t care that not much is actually happening. It’s either building these interesting characters or building this tension and setting up this ending. And this movie has a an amazing ending this the perfect way to subvert an audiences expectations. Using people’s knowledge of real life to pull of this twist with instead of the Mason killers going to Sharon Tate’s house they go next door to where Cliff and Rick are and we finally get the violence Tarantino is known for. Also I love how they subtlety set things up for this finale like Cliff’s dog being really well trained and the flamethrower which you’d think were just one and done things but they’re brought back in an awesome way.

This is Quentin Tarantino’s love letter to Hollywood and you can totally see all the passion that he has for this movie so it makes sense why in his movie about old Hollywood he’d want to rewrite a Hollywood tragedy. It’s called Once Upon a Time in Hollywood because it’s supposed to have that feeling of a fairy tale.

I probably have more I could say about this movie but I’m really tired so I’m gonna leave it at that but yeah I have no doubt in my mind that Tarantino is gonna be one of my favorite movie directors.

NEEK_NerdGeek liked these reviews