Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles ★★★★½

Jeanne Dielman is a movie that is definitely worth watching during the quarantine or during a prolonged period or season of boredom. While those who have seen this film have admitted to falling asleep or lose focus, I never seemed to lose focus but was rather interested in what Jeanne does next. Does she still make the overbaked potatoes, does she buy new ones, or does she give up? Her routine is so perfect and on point that when she drops that spoon, it is one of the biggest moments that this film has to offer. It may not be interesting at all, but the movie will have you thinking about what the director is telling. If you don’t like the pacing and wanted a scene or a shot to be cut off, this movie would feel incomplete. If you were to fasten the pace and have the characters talk, that would ruin the message that Akerman is trying to say. If you were to argue that this movie is too slow and so you’ll give it a 1/10, it is best for you to consider watching the movie again and pay attention or read an analysis on what this movie is about and what makes Seyrig’s character so important and so quiet. Also, one of the better ways to waste your time for a day as you won’t miss much if you take a quick snack break or perhaps a bathroom break. The movie is a meditation on the role of women in society and how they all need to stay home and do housework. This movie perfectly shows that but it explains the impending doom and the death of one. Not saying that she actually dies but her divorce from her own reality. It is not a movie that makes fun of feminism but rather encourages women to express your feelings and it’s always fine if you need to express your feelings with somebody. Delphine Seyrig is one of the most interesting people I’ve seen in film. A feminist who explains her opinions but never goes as far to be fairly insensitive or mean towards men. Her beliefs never seem to viciously bite men with accusations but rather explain to them that women can do more than just house work and cleaning and she explains this sexism in a documentary with the name of Sois belle et tais-toi! This documentary includes Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, Shirley MacLaine, and other Hollywood celebrities that have experienced this sexism throughout the film industry. It really is a disappointment that this documentary is unheard of in this day and age when it may perhaps be needed and watched the most. Nonetheless, Jeanne Dielman is a powerful examination on slow cinema and an important message to all women out there: Face reality, fight for your rights, don’t scream and insult men and then cry, but rather confront them and convince them that you can do more than sitting home and doing nothing. Women deserves right like we men do and Akerman perfectly shows why.

Final Words: Jeanne Dielman is definitely a slow and extremely difficult to watch for its pacing and lack of action but when analyzed and taken seriously, it becomes a rewarding and powerful piece of work that will live on without the slightest wear or tear with its feminist message. One of Seyrig’s greatest performances that best defines her influential position as a feminist. Highly Recommended! (Ranked No.5 Favorite Film of April 2020)

Side Note: If I have offended you in my political statements that might accidentally come off as offensive, I'm very sorry but I really don't have any bias against gender equality and all that and I still support you despite me being a teen who has no idea what he might be talking about at a young age. Once again, very sorry if anything comes off as offensive in this review.

Neon liked this review