Anomalisa

Okay, here's the thing: yes, I get that this is a movie about a man who has mental health problems. I liked how they portrayed parts of it, like the fact that everyone sounds the same.

Here's another thing: you can absolutely make a movie about depression without being incredibly sexist.

This is yet another film in which a mediocre middle-aged man, just for being a mediocre white middle-aged man gets everyone to fall all over him. He's written a book about human resources and he's FAMOUS for that. People pointing at him in the street famous. I mean, seriously?

And then he's an asshole to EVERY SINGLE WOMAN in the film. But it's not his fault, you know? He's got issues. First, there's the ex whom he basically abandoned. He calls her up again... for what? To mess with her? And this was ten years ago and she's STILL in love with him. I mean, WHAT DO YOU SEE IN THIS GUY? He's bland city.

Then there's the wife whom he cheats on. And Anomalisa. UUUGH. Even the name. She's "not like other women", she's got self-confidence issues (because OF COURSE) and she spends the night telling him how lucky she is because he gave her the time of day, and how much smarter he is than her. I was DISGUSTED throughout that whole sex scene. This is 100% male self-insert fantasy. I mean, she fucking THANKS him when he kisses her. I don't have words for how absolutely disgusting that whole scene is. Seriously.

And don't even get me started on how he treats his child. The best thing he could do is leave his family. For that child's sake. I mean, he gets his child a sex toy because he doesn't even bother to find an actual toy store. But yeah, no, it's totally not his fault. It's his depression. Yeah, let's go with that.

Depression doesn't turn you into an asshole, you know? It just makes you depressed.

Nesdy liked this review