Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith ★★★★★

When I was a kid my very strict parents didn’t want little 4 year old me to watch this very dark final installation of the Star Wars prequels. My father knew I loved Star Wars though, so he’d play a few scenes every so often from the DVD. And how I watched them, I’ve probably seen certain parts of this movie hundreds of times. The Star Wars prequels are me, they are ingrained in my DNA. The two greatest film trilogies of the end of history (this and the matrix) both conclude by making a maximalist tale of Love. Not just love in a romantic sense but in the worldly sense. Here and in the Matrix 3 everything that makes their creators them is on display, good and bad. This is not just auteurism but ancestoralism: acknowledging your filmic precursors, your experiences, everything behind you that lead you to where you are now. At the end of things the long tome of inspiration is peeled back. The noir and Ben Hur aesthetics of Episode 2 is gone. The vibrant green pastoralism of Episode 1 is gone. Here only the Shakespearean tragedy, the core of Star Wars and the Ancient Greek mythology represented in both cyclical loss and Ray Harryhausen skeletons. Even the films visual nature is returned to its basic instincts. Hot volcanoes, primitive fires, untamed fauna and endless storms. How could you not love it.

Netscape liked this review