Three Colors: Red

Three Colors: Red ★★★★★

Three Colors: Red. 1994. Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski.

Three Colors: Red (1994) directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski is the last and my favorite in a trilogy of the three colors of the French flag and each represent liberty, fraternity, and equality, respectively. Red has a cast that includes Irène Jacob (Valentine) and Jean-Louis Trintignant (The Judge). They are polar opposites of each other and their acting is like that of a sounding board. The add a balance like yin and yang. Red focuses on a web. At the beginning we are shown a network of phone wires. The wires serve as a connection and at the time formed the World Wide Web through dial up connection. Red deals with coincidence, synchronicity, missed opportunities, and parallel dimensions (almost). Red is the theme and Valentine is a name that inspires one to think of red. In addition, the sets are filled with red objects: books, apples, and table cloths.

With regard to the screenplay by Krzysztof Piesiewicz and Krzysztof Kieslowski, Valentine meets The Judge and who lives in Geneva. She walks in and he is illegally listening to other’s conversations. Valentine is disturbed by this. It is through this meeting with the judge that the idea of fraternity is covered. The Judge’s electronic spying on neighbors produces a web of effects that ripple all the way to the end of this most brilliant script. The Judge metamorphosizes from obstinate to caring and warm and forms the basis for Valentine and The Judge’s true connection. The music by Zbignew Preisner is phenomenal and moving on all emotional levels. The culmination of his masterpiece, in my opinion, is during the ferry crossing of which I cannot talk a great deal about without spoilers. However, the ferry crossing the is center of the web of all connectivity in Three: Colors Red. It is all about destinies and the three films come to a close. The director of photography is Zbignew Preisner and he is the eyes that guide us through the journey of Valentine and The Judge as their synchronizations come to a conclusion that would leave most cinephiles very pleased.

DNA cinephile🏳️‍🌈 liked these reviews