Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou ★★★½

What’s Love Got To Do With It? No.5

Pierre Le Fou (or Crazy Pete) is the story of a teacher running off with his ex-lover escaping from their boring routine and travelling all across the globe with $50,000 in cash.

When I saw the same male actor from Breathless, I thought I was in trouble, because I just hated everything about that film. However it turns out Pierre Le Fou is actually pretty fun and playful to watch, aside from its sardonic and cynical tone. In fact I feel like this the movie Breathless should have been. Jean Luc Goddard offers a bitter critique on mass culture and pop art, particularly if Americans design them, which is becoming a concurrent in his later films. Jean Paul Belmondo plays his smug persona from Breathless, but here he is much more tolerable and has some tangible charm I could grasp. And he shares some good chemistry between Anna Karina, as illustrated by two scenes where out of nowhere they perform two musical numbers. And Karina has a lot of cute charm on screen.

Though the film had me lose track some of the plot because of its pacing, the film has a nice visual design with red, yellow and blue being the color scheme, some interludes of neon lighting, as well as some good tracking shots. Ultimately, this film is a wild adventure.