Night of the Living Dead

Night of the Living Dead ★★★★★

The birth of the modern horror film.

1968: When a bunch of 20 something's from Pittsburgh banded together like a group of survivors, with the heart and integrity 100 major studios could never reproduce. One of the most important films ever made… impossible to ignore and beyond monolithic

When I was about 9 or 10, My parents took me to a drive in double feature in Pennsylvania about an hour or so from where we lived at the time. We saw Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead. I loved every damn minute of it even if I wasn’t quite sure what was always happening… the moods on display struck a nerve and then all of the sudden BOOM… the ending left me feeling shocked and completely empty on hope. The sheer impact of Romero's footprint in the genre is unmeasurable at this point… He shook up a bloated studio system and influenced so many independent filmmakers to pick up a camera and do whatever it takes to make a fucking movie.

George was a special, special talent and oh my will he be missed… a quiet man whose art spoke quite loudly.

For 32 years, 2 months, and 16 days, I lived in a world where George Romero was smiling somewhere and smoking a cigarette. Tomorrow starts day 1 without that.

R.I.P. <3