The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ★★★★★

This is a prime example of the only possible way to follow up an inpenetrable genre monolith.

They say everything’s bigger in Texas, well... Tobe Hooper... meet Cannon films. Yeah, I know, it sounds marvelous, and it is! A lone star satirical rumble complete with a killer soundtrack, excellent setpieces, incredible set design, and so many signiture Tobe Hooper touches that really show how diverse and talented he was. This was VHS sleepover staple for me and my friends back in the day as well as being one of the very first horror posters I hung up on my wall, for some reason I thought I’d cooked on this over the years... but nah... tonight’s viewing was such a damn blast and it really struck a chord with me... so fuck it—5 stars.

I love Tobe Hooper and I love that he returned with a comedy satire filled with a bunch of nutso crazy lunatics amped up to 11. Leatherface busts through a wall like the kool aid man (there needs to be a letterboxd list for that) and this borders on manic absurdity... manic absurdity of the best kind. Totally Essential if you ask me.

‘BRING IT ALL DOWN!’

One of my favorite sequels, and another jewel in the crown of the Texas King of genre filmmaking.

Ian West liked these reviews