The Thing ★★★★★

Pulsating tension, a perpetual state of body snatcher terror, and disintegrated trust mounting with each passing moment of bleak, civilization-isolation.

The Thing poses the question of ‘Who Goes There?’ many times... coupled with an outbreak of collapsing trust, jaw dropping effects, and the total dread induced clinic put on by John Carpenter at the very top of his game whilst in his prime—and it’s a sight to see. Halloween changed my life and remains my all time favorite movie but for me The Thing is most certainly John Carpenter’s masterpiece—firing on all cylinders, kicking ass and taking names while transcending genre cinema and creating an ultimate experience in alien terror.

This is without question my favorite mixture of Science Fiction and Horror.

I'm going to hide this tape when I'm finished. If none of us make it, at least there will be some kind of record. The storm's been hitting us hard now for 48 hours. We still have nothing to go on. One other thing: I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over. Windows found some shredded and bloody long-johns in the trash but the name tag was missing. They could be anybody's. Nobody,nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired. There's nothing more I can do, just wait. This is R.J. MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31.

That might be my favorite scene from John Carpenter’s The Thing as the dread tension and complete loss of hope sinks in as we get a look at what may or may not be something lurking near the empty doorway behind MacReady.

So fucking pure.