Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★

Better than either of the 'Amazing Spider-Man' films, but an overall weaker entry in the MCU. It's not the best superhero film of this year (I'd place it below 'Wonder Woman', 'Captain Underpants' and 'Logan'), but it's got a lot to offer for fans of the character. This film certainly has unexpected elements that give it a certain charm, but ultimately this film just feels a little too disposable-- not only in the context of the MCU but as a character piece too. There's a great theme of identity that they're hinting at here, the issue of who we are and who we wish to become, but this was lost a lot of the time for me in a film that could have gotten twenty minutes or so shaved off it. Tom Holland is great, Michael Keaton is obviously having a ton of fun, and honestly this movie would be just middle-of-the-road without their efforts. The creator's intention to make a modern-day John Hughes film is admirable, even if I (again) think this concept gets lost in the shuffle a good amount of the time. There's a lot of good stuff here though, and I hope they mine those aspects for the inevitable follow-up.

Also, I just realized, literally every MCU movie is just about daddy issues, isn't it? Because yeah, this one is too, and it sorta falls a bit flat for me. Whatever, go see 'Baby Driver'.

William liked these reviews