Tangerine ★★★★

A loud, brash, and profane film that fully embraces modern society, which I was fairly sure I would dislike. However, I don't think it's possible for any reasonable person to hate this stunningly wonderful film. This is one of the most anarchic and fearless films I've seen, certainly in terms of modern films. It uses what may be perceived as fatal flaws (almost entirely shouted hyperrealistic dialogue, handheld iPhone cinematography, an exclusively minority cast, a) and makes them into towering and essential strengths.

First and foremost, the cinematography is stunning, a signal of what is possible through the new normal of photography. The iPhone is used to genuine artistic value, as the handheld footage never feels jarring and actually enhances the immersion into the characters' lives and surroundings, as it befits the almost hyperactive nature of their lives. This also applies the music, which only adds to the upper-infused atmosphere of the film.

The characters and acting are another justly praised revelation, as the characters manage to be both realistic and incredibly sympathetic (if not empathetic) while never appearing stereotyped. A huge variety of ethnic and sexual minorities are portrayed authentically and sensitively, making them all equal in the eyes of the camera.

Especially in the first third of the film, this is not a film that is necessarily driven by plot, as it is more an exploration of the modern underground in Los Angeles, in all of its insane loveliness. In this regard, it is more akin to documentary in its use of actors who are more playing themselves than any fictional characters and in the handheld iPhone camerawork. This is an insane and heartfelt, sincere and real film, and a potent statement on the nature of relationships and sexuality in the modern world.

Ryan liked these reviews