Utøya: July 22 ★★★★

How to even start... To think that 7 years have already passed since these events. It still feels much more recent. It's still hard to grasp this actually happened.

The film realistically follows the course of events of the Utøya massacre. The characters are made up, but probably more or less based on the survivors' stories. It gives the viewer only a shallow understanding of how the massacre unfolded, but really focuses on empathizing the victims and survivors. And this it does well.

But even though creating empathy was clearly the filmmakers' main goal, that's not even the most impressive part. I couldn't stop thinking what a feat this was in camerawork and acting-wise. It literally has a 83-minute single take. It's a re-enactment. And I couldn't spot a single mistake by the actors. And this is not an easy subject for young actors. I don't know how they did it. Would watch a "making of" documentary in a heartbeat. The cameraman seemingly fumbles a couple of times but that only really adds to viewer feeling like they're in it.

nexude liked these reviews