Stalker

Stalker ★★★★★

365 Film Challenge - #151

My first Tarkovsky film, and, coincidentally, the third or fourth film in the past few weeks that I've seen that deals with the heavy concept of fulfillment. A concept that I very much connect with, especially at this point in my life. And Stalker deals with this concept pretty vaguely, through an ambiguous but straightforward narrative that slowly picks up crazy amounts of steam as the film goes on.

But from the get go, the cinematography is what pulls you in. The sound design, which sometimes blends with the score, is often entrancing. The scene where they are riding the rail cart to the Zone, I could've watched that shot for an hour.

I don't really know what to say. Because Stalker is so deeply rooted in interpretation and what the viewer takes from the film. I want to watch it again. For the near-three hour runtime, I didn't look at my phone or check the time once, which is a RARITY. I was so invested in the characters and the slow journey to the Room, which pays off in a very logical but philosophically adventurous way.

Also this film had me tensed up a couple of times. Tarkovsky clearly knows how to conjure up suspense with mere dialogue and cinematography.

I loved this movie. It lived up to the decades of hype.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added To: