Thor: Ragnarok ★★★★½

Is Taika Waititi the Jonathan Demme of comedy? His timing and the way he has actors in conversation look directly into the camera makes me wonder.

Waititi’s Thor movie is the one the character needed to break through the lame concept mold. The first Thor works because he’s on earth and is the fish out of water, the second one is garbage because it’s forcing the norse thing too much, and this is perfect. Still the fish out of water, but also set in goofy space nonsense. It’s perfect. Plus, new awesome Thunder powers? I’m all about that going into what’s sure to be an action-packed Infinity War

The comedy works in every sense from the writing, performances, and sort of slapstick action sequences.

Great visuals and set design. Great performances and use of a new cast of characters. Tessa Thompson (😍), Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett, and Waititi himself are all incredibly fun additions to the franchise. Hemsworth gets a foyne haircut and the opportunity to be really funny, Ruffalo gets the chance to show Banner be the complete opposite of Hulk, and Hiddleston does his same thing but it has yet to get old.

Has easily become one of my favorite MCU movies, but similar to Spider-Man: Homecoming, I could totally watch this for non-MCU purposes.

In today’s specific viewing, it helped with feeling very ill, and was never boring.

Overall, a great comedy that happens to be a comic book fantasy space goofy Morhersbaugh movie. Easily among my favorites in the MCU, and even makes a fun set up to Infinity War.

NickA liked this review