The Wolverine

The Wolverine ★★★½

I never got around to seeing The Wolverine purely because of how fucking atrocious X-Men Origins: Wolverine was. But I have to say, I really enjoyed this take on Hugh Jackman's title character. We got to see some more of shirtless Wolverine killing dudes, got a little bit of fill-in info for what Logan did after X-Men: The Last Stand, and got a pretty well round Japanese inspired samurai story. It may be a little basic and safe, but I'll take that any day over whatever the fuck that last Wolverine movie was. I felt like placing Logan in a totally new environment and culture was actually a nice twist that neither the X-Men movies nor the previous Wolverine movie did.  I also enjoyed Logan being forced to rediscover his purpose in this world after the trauma of him killing someone he loved, and found it to be a pretty compelling storyline.

I only had two real big negatives with this film. The first one being, the Viper character. Nothing against the actress who played her, but that was a shite performance. She overacted the shit out of that role and it totally did not land. Secondly, the thrid act was not great. I would've much rather seem Logan duke it out with a bunch of ninjas, and not fight an old dude in a CGI samurai suit.

For the most part I'd say that The Wolverine was a success. This now has me very excited to see the next stand alone Wolverine flick, which is something I never thought I'd say after the garbage start this series had. Check it out if you're a fan of comic book films, action films or even samurai flicks!

Nickpam liked these reviews