Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

"Welcome, and happy Midsommar. Skål!"

Ari Aster's follow-up feature, Midsommar, is a screwed up tale of grief and deteriorating relationship braced with a ritualistic pagan cult in a lush Swedish landscape.

I loved Aster's Hereditary. It's a film which truly benefitted from its dark tone that was further enhanced by what's on display. Midsommar, on the other hand, holds the same grasp while setting it under broad daylight.

Even without knowing its runtime, you can really feel how long it is. I definitely wouldn't recommend this to anyone who's not up to "wasting" time. It's an atmospheric film that takes its time too seriously in building the story to the point that it gets pretty boring. To add more on that, there are tons of foreshadowings revealed beforehand that ranges from mild subtlety to very obvious. As a result, it made its somehow grand, rewarding payoff predictable.

For the most part, though exhausted, I found myself relishing it. While it's open to different interpretations, its main point still bangs considering how Aster related it to his own experience, in addition from the bits made up by his brilliant mind. The casting is perfect and it confirms Florence Pugh's wide range in acting. It's a sophisticated filmmaking that solidifies Aster's budding career in just a span of several months after the release of his debut film.

SPOILER THOUGHTS: This is probably the most fucked up breakup film you'll ever see. Imagine seeing your boyfriend impregnating another woman in a hollow room with a bunch of lustful chanting onlookers. Dani's (Pugh) reaction after seeing that went full batshit crazy. I just love how weird this film is. But still, Hereditary pa rin!!!

nick liked these reviews