Captain Marvel ★★★

I don’t typically talk politics here in-depth, but with all the attention surrounding this film I wanted to put down my thoughts on how we should move forward.

I’m so glad to say that I found this movie to be quite solid, especially relative to the rest of the MCU.  But, at the same time, I don’t think we should settle for these movies with strong lead women surrounded by utter mediocrity.  I feel that Wonder Woman suffered similarly, although Captain Marvel is certainly a big step in the right direction.

Either way, just having a lead woman in your movie is not enough to make it a good movie.  I will admit that the underlying messages here were, for the most part, handled very well and came across in a way that lended to the story rather than being shoved in your face.  But Marvel (and certainly all of Hollywood) can definitely continue to improve in their portrayal of women.

The only reason I’m not upset about Carol Danvers feeling emotionally dry and cookie-cutter at times is because Marvel does that with almost everybody.  Even so, they can do better, and major props to Larson for really committing to the character and making her as compelling as she could with what she was given.

It’s absolutely wonderful that this movie exists, but if we can consider it a stepping stone towards compelling female leads in mainstream film rather than the exemplar, then we’re on the right track.

nick wibert liked these reviews