The Farewell

The Farewell ★★★★★

Where do I even begin?
This film will always hold a special place in my heart. As a third-culture "Chinese" kid, I completely resonate with the film on a deep deep emotional level. Watching this for the first time is like seeing my own life flash between my eyes, except with different faces.

I've always struggled with my cultural identity, being an Asian third culture kid who lives and was brought up in an English-speaking environment dominated by western cultures and ideologies. To an extent, I've always neglected and somewhat turned my back against my Chinese roots, embracing the western cultures around me. Stuck in limbo where I don't feel like completely belong in any particular place, often feeling and being treated like a foreigner in my own country when I visit home due to my accent and Chinese speaking abilities in comparison to the locals. A few years back I went through the exact same events which took place in the film, except it was with my Grandpa whom I still miss dearly. This euphemizing culture in Chinese culture still very much exists today and is much more common than people think which might seem extremely alienating for foreigners.

The mise-en-scene, music, and dialogues all perfectly represent the culture and remind me of my home a lot.

I would like to thank Lulu Wang for producing such a beautiful narrative that perfectly represents the culture that I alongside many others take for granted. As an aspiring Asian filmmaker, this is what I would dream and hope to one day be able to produce.

nickywang liked these reviews