Villains

Villains ★★½

Villains was never on my radar, an entirely impulsive watch based on premise alone, and for that little anticipation, I can't say I was disappointed. This is one of those movies where you go back home after watching it, and completely forget the next day what movie you saw. Nothing here stands out that hasn't been done before, and aside from some charming performances and moments of laughter, Villains is a complete tonal mess.

Mickey and Jules are probably two of the most inept criminals ever. This ineptitude gets them trapped inside a seemingly empty home (after forgetting to fill their getaway car with gas) where they discover a child and their quirky captors. Dan Berk and Robert Olsen seem rather confused here. I'm not entirely sure what type of film they were trying to make, but the one I watched was a disjointed mess. It lacks the logic or the thrills to be suspenseful, and as a comedy it misses as much as it hits. There are some genuine laughs in the film, through the sheer absurdity of the performances, but they lessen as the film nears its finale.

There are some committed performances in Villains, particularly Maika Monroe, who has delivered consistent performances in films such as It Follows, and it's great to see Bill Skarsgard out of the clown makeup and showcasing his talent. There are some strange performances from Jeffrey Donovan and Kyra Sedgewick, but they are entirely reliant on the tone of the film, and at times they strain credibility.

It's not that Villains is a bad film, its just not a particularly memorable one. Berk and Olsen have a hodgepodge of tones that never really add up to a satisfying whole. Villains works as a vehicle for showcasing the young, up and coming talents of Skarsgard and Monroe, whose performances elevate a mediocre watch.

Nihar liked this review