The Legend of Tarzan

2016 Ranked
Non-2019 First Time Watches Ranked
Directors Ranked: David Yates

Film #11 of my Chain Reaction Challenge

Is this the film that convinces me Alexander Skarsgard can actually act? Spoiler alert...no. No it's not.

I will give him credit where it's due. Skarsgard was okay in this, which is much better than most of his lifeless as fuck performances. The rest of the cast were so much better though; the performances from Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Djimon Hounsou and to a lesser extent, Margot Robbie lift this film from being horrible to merely disappointing.

As I was watching it, I remember thinking "some of this CGI looks decent as this couldn't have had a massive budget." Then I saw this had a budget of $180m and realised someone must've pocketed $100m, because for that kind of money, this should look way better.

In saying that, the cinematography here is nice and Yates always does a good job of making a well-shot film. But this could've been even better if the colours weren't so muted. I'm not saying make it look like an animated film but everything was just so dull and grey. I mean, look at the fucking poster!

Overall, there were some good action scenes, and good acting performances, and I always appreciate someone taking a risk to tell a different story rather than just the obvious origin tale, but this film is hampered by a dull palette, a subpar performance from the titular lead, and weaksauce writing, and that is a real shame as this could've been really good.

Ayden liked these reviews