Underworld

Underworld ★★★½

2003 Ranked
Directors Ranked: Len Wiseman

Film #3 of Project Rewatch 2022

I think I first watched this not long after it first came out on DVD so it's been a minute. And I am sure back then I liked it for the Kate Beckinsale in tight leather. While that is still pretty good, I forgot just how great this film looks as a whole. Len Wiseman and cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts do a fantastic job of presenting a real-feeling gothic atmosphere. The opening scene where Selene is standing, looking down on the city as the lightning flashes in the background is a genuinely fantastic-looking scene.

Not only that but this features some excellent world-building and I am an absolute whore for world-building. This has a deep mythology and is more than just "the same as Twilight" that I have seen a few reviews post.

Add to that some fun action sequences as well as great performances from Beckinsale, Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen, and there is a lot to like about this film. Unfortunately, it is also plagued with poor storytelling and lacks any kind of character development. This plus the poor performance of Scott Speedman holds this back from being an absolute fucking banger.

It's fun, but flawed.