The Holy Mountain

The Holy Mountain ★★★★½

"We know that people want to be loved. Not for what they are, but what they appear to be."

This is a transcending type of work. Nearly impossible to put into words.

The Holy Mountain is as abstract as it gets. The type of movie that one would not only cease to fully understand in an initial viewing but cease to fully understand on a 10th viewing. To my understanding, on a fundamental basis, it is about 9 opportunistic mortals on a quest to achieve immortality by reaching the summit of a holy mountain, which may sound like a straightforward idea, but the film is far from straightforward.

What makes this film really stand out and create an experience unlike any other, is in its presentation. There are sets and production value that is absolutely breathtaking and otherworldly. The whole movie is akin to performance art that may not make much sense on the surface value, but you know is meaningful and well thought out. The movie says so much about mankind, and the world's relation to mankind, it is an impossible task to name them all without typing for hours and hours.

With that being said, what works for the movie, is also what brings the movie down. It is almost too concerned with what it has to say and ends up being too much. There isn't time to absorb what is presented at times because in the time you are digesting what has been shown, they have already moved on to something else. It also suffers from being too abstract sometimes to the point where you feel as though you are looking at pure nonsense. Perhaps I only feel this way because I couldn't wrap my mind around certain concepts, but nonetheless, it is still a problem that I had.

If you are looking for something different or something that will challenge you as a viewer, this is definitely the way to go. This is the kind of movie that I can see myself watching again to unravel more, but not for a while to give myself some time to marinate.

Edit: After some marination, I've decided to change my rating from a 4 to a 4.5. This film has really been on my mind.

Niv liked these reviews