A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place ★★★

Let's ignore the fact that John Krasinski can't shush for shit, A Quiet Place is a mixed blessing. Being this committed to silence in a major cinema horror release is admirable even if it would be nightmarish to see it with the usual noisy crowds. The cast is excellent and the drama written into their tale of survival integral in giving this movie a little more meat to its slender bones. The action-horror scenarios too are very well staged by Krasinski but most credit has to go to MVP and cinematographer Charlotte Bruus Christensen. Emily Blunt also shares MVP honours, but that goes without saying. She is Emily Blunt she is always the best thing in any film she features.

However, its issues are monumental. A quiet place's mythology and monster lore are monumentally stupid and any sort of logic is nowhere to be found. I don't want my horror films to make 100% sense, that isn't what I am saying. What I am saying is for a race of killer aliens with superhearing, they seem to be either as deaf as a post or in possession of hearing considerable enough to make bats seem a little hard of hearing by comparison, depending on what the scene needed. It's a logical inconsistency that bugged me.

What bugged me the most though was the music. This is a film in which aliens kill whatever they hear. So, you'd think the music would be subtle and full of tactile ambient sounds, you know thematically playing into the ideas of the movie. Nope. The music ignores any and all themes, instead plying broad melodramatic tones and honking great chase numbers. It's like they bought the score from the generic score store and put zero effort into it. Marco Beltrami, Mr composer, you should be ashamed of yourself but given your body of work before this, I imagine any sense of shame you once had has long since abandoned you.

Rob liked these reviews