Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key ★★★★

2018 Cult Movie Challenge - Week 5 - Giallo Week

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. That title is amazing and this is pretty much a case of instantly becoming a fan of its director, Sergio Martino. The score by Bruno Nicolai is chock full of harpsichord gold, and its cinematography is as gorgeous as any other golden era Giallo, of which, there is one shot that knocked my socks clean off. Someone is killed on a staircase and as she is being dragged down the stairs the camera follows her in a seamless, smooth movement. No bump-bump-bump of the cameraman negotiating the stairs, nothing. I have no idea how it was done and it is incredible. Modern cinematography is dropping its pants for a good lighting set up, for me, when you see someone who knows how to move a camera, it's a marvel, a magic trick, and cinema needs more of it.

Your Vice is only a Giallo for the first forty minutes with the black gloved killer killed off himself. After which, the film moves away from that trope-laden minefield and comes to closer resemble the work of Hitchcock or De Palma's mystery/suspense work only swirling a sleazy vortex around the stunning Edwige Fenech. Every character, every twist, and every occurrence is part of a massive game of death chess and to see all these disparate threads pulled together in such a satisfying way is gleeful, over the top entertainment. The red herrings this things drops had me raptured rather than playing the usual game of 'Giallo guess who'.

There's also a Black Cat called Satan who takes shit from no-one. If you like your cats in horror, he is the biggest game in town. You know what's even more shocking? Eli Roth is a really compelling personality in the Blu-ray extras of this Arrow Video Release. I know! Whoda thunk it?

Rob liked these reviews