Chinatown ★★★★

A classic colored-noir film starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway? I'm in. Right off the bat it was difficult for me to get into this, but once the ball gets rolling, its hard not to be invested in these characters and the mystery surrounding them. The performances are top-notch and the screenplay is unsurprisingly magnetic. The film also has a very good message, though that's something I need to discuss.

I'm surely not the first to mention the sad, sad irony that Polanski, of all fuckin people, made this. The fact that he embodies everything that this film ostracizes and is someone who had relative power throughout his life, is just frustrating as hell. I usually try to distinguish the art from the artist, though sometimes its difficult, especially in a case like this where the film mirrors the problems with people in power and how they get away with things they otherwise should never have gotten away with, and the final lines of the film only reinforce my point.

Chinatown is all around us, everywhere.

So I'm not gonna let this unfortunate dilemma affect my rating, because I did enjoy the movie, and its certainly well-made. I'm not the first to make these points, and I know that -- had to say something about it because it's all I'm thinking about right now.

Nolio liked these reviews