Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★½

Surprise, I'm impressed with another QT film. Seriously though, this guy definitely knows how to tell a story. I've found that the pacing in this film, like many of Qt's films, is actually very good. I was never bored, and I never found myself drawn away from the world that was created here.

I thought the performances were excellent across the board, especially by Waltz and DiCaprio. Foxx also holds his own, he's actually been in a number of excellent movies that I've seen the past few months. I swear, Samuel Jackson is in pretty much every film ever made and does a great job creating different characters in each one, including Django. The violence depicted in this one is so visceral in the best of ways--I feel like it's definitely a staple of Tarantino films to include violence, but it felt especially satisfying in this one with all the long buildup. The runtime never spares a moment to develop some aspect of the story, which is why the payoff is so excellent in the end. I really can't say that about many other films, because QT is a one-of-a-kind filmmaker.

This film is Tarantino's western, and while I've seen Western influences in his other films as well, this one is an obvious homage. I can't really say more--most has been said already. I'm looking forward to two more QT films, and then I'll have seen them all!

Nolio liked these reviews