Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★★★½

I'm a bit late to the Promising Young Woman party but then again, I'm always late to these things 😅

I enjoyed this. Emerald Fennell certainly makes some interesting directorial choices, but they're positive for the most part. Carey Mulligan is obviously the standout here as her performance absolutely shines. She plays to the films tone extremely well. I liked Bo Burnham's performance too. One thing folks aren't talking about as much is the score. I thought the score was awesome! And thats about all I have to say about it, I just think its kind of an underrated aspect of this film that elevates it in a way.

Now if there's one thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way, its that the representation of men here, while accurate to a degree, is way too vague. Every dude in this movie (with the exception of the dad) is a rapist/creep. I'm not sure if I dislike this choice because I'm a guy myself, or if its because a lot of men are actually like this, I don't know. I don't think nearly every guy is a creep. But then again there are a lot of fucking weirdos out there that paint all of us in a bad light, and that's just the unfortunate truth. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie enough to really get some satisfaction from the ending, SPOILERS even though it's kind of a sad one for Cassandra :(

Anyway, I'd check this one out if you haven't!

Nolio liked these reviews