Jurassic World Dominion

Jurassic World Dominion ★★½

I have a lot to say, so tl;dr this is a ridiculous mess, but I liked it and had a lot of fun.

Jurassic Park is so great because it takes a question we have all had: “what would life be like with dinosaurs?” and let us explore it in a way that was both smart and enjoyable. Spielberg’s style gave it a sense of wonder and intrigue that helped cement it as one of the best movies in decades. It also unfortunately set a very high bar for what a blockbuster can or should be.

The Jurassic World movies bring a lot of ideas to the forefront, instantly making the movies pretty easy to pick apart. It’s so hard to imagine what this scenario would really be like, that as they fall further into the world, it makes it even easier to pick at little things that become ~important~ parts of these movies.

Taking a step back from that, though, the Jurassic World trilogy is really a lot of fun, and gives moviegoers a lot of good blockbuster fun to sink their teeth into. At the end of the day, people like these movies because THEY LIKE DINOSAURS! And these movies give us a lot of dinosaurs! This one probably the most of all.

Beyond that, it’s much more like a Fast & Furious movie than the speculative scientific adventure that Michael Crichton originally thought up. I think that’s okay though. Nothing would make purists happy at this point, so I’m happy we got this. It’s a good summer blockbuster. Probably my favorite of the trilogy.

That’s not to say it’s not littered with problems though. It’s long and very bloated. They recreate some shots and moments from previous movies that are blatant and cheap. Hell, bringing back the old crew was pretty damn unnecessary in general. However, there wasn’t anything that was actively inhibiting me from enjoying what they made. I can imagine some people will be screaming in their cars when this is over though.

notjadakiss liked these reviews