Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★½

The 100 Reviews: #62 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Animation: beautiful and groundbreaking. Plot: compelling and unique. Characters: complex and loveable. It’s not flawless; there are a few schmaltzy moments. Interestingly, though, the imperfections add to the movie’s overall charisma because it remains light-hearted even during impactful moments. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is not the perfect Spider-Man movie in the way that The Dark Knight is the perfect Batman movie, but given the high saturation of Spider-Man in 21st-century cinema, a perfect Spider-Man movie is not what we need. What we need is a Spidey revival, and that’s exactly what Spider-Verse delivers. It reimagines the whole world while returning to and reinvigorating the empowering feelings of the OG Tobey Maguire Spider-Man. There are some parts which may not age well (the meta references and the end-credits meme, for example), but then again, if the first Spider-Man movie can remain timeless with its enjoyment factor, nostalgia, and positive message, then maybe this one can too.

Sixteen years later, we’ve come along way, both in film and as a society. Spider-Verse is not only more relevant than any other Spider-Man movie but also more relevant than any other film this year. And ever since his conception in the 1960s, Spider-Man was meant to be relatable. From Miles Morales to Aunt May, and even Peter Porker, there is a hero for everyone to identify with.

Into the Spider-Verse has earned its place as my favorite film of 2018 with a wide margin. It has even worked itself into a respectable spot in my top 50 films of all time. I strongly believe that everyone has something to gain from watching this movie and everyone should strongly consider going to see it while it is still in theaters.

novotny liked these reviews