Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm ★★★½

Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

Bang bang, skeet skeet, high five, very nice, my wife! Alright, I got all that out of the way. After watching the first Borat awhile ago, I remember thinking that there's no way you could make a new film with the character today. Humor and the world in general I thought had moved on too much for Sasha Baron Cohen's goofy, intentionally offensive and triggering antics to land in the same way they once did. Not the first time, won't be the last time, I was wrong. Not only do we have a sequel, but it's being both critically and commercially well-received. With the way the year has gone, who knows, we could have another Oscar-nominated film on our hands. (If it's eligible, which I don't even know nor do I care that much to look up what the new rules are.) Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, a fantastic title by the way, is about family, and that's what's so powerful about it. Being serious, I was impressed with for how distinct of a movie the first Borat is in structure and tone, here comes a movie well over a decade later that not only captures the same feeling, but feels like a legitimate continuation. I know the original means a lot to certain people, yet from my perspective, I would say that and this are about equal in quality. If I did want to slightly lean more into the strengths of this film, I could say that I came to enjoy the surprising emotional throughline that is offered. Maria Bakalova as Borat's daughter makes for a great addition, her performance on its own is a lot of fun, and her chemistry with Cohen is stellar. And for anyone concerned, don't worry, Sasha puts the persona of Borat back on like he never left. (Helps that the guy hasn't aged like at all in a kind of freaky way.) The various costumes are mostly funny, there's a good mixture of new content and references to old jokes and one-liners. The interactions with others offer moments that can range from hilarious to concerning. (As was in the original, it's incredible how at times Borat can be out-stereotyped by real people.) The pastor and the two guys Borat stays with are for sure the highlights of the people, and enough has already been said about the Rudy Giuliani bit that I don't have anything new to add. His career's now on suicide watch. To wrap this word vomit up, I think it was a risky but worthwhile move to drop this right before the election. For better and worse, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm alongside its pussy jokes and quips takes the time to show the current state of America in the year of our Lord 2020. Look at what's been presented to you, and depending on where you want to go with the nation and your own well-being from here, let your voice be heard. Go vote, care for your loved ones, and just try to be very nice to each other.

7/10