The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★½

Why are you clutching that large feral hog like it's a child?

I love Furby, maybe the best toy ever. Naturally, the Furby sequence just killed me. A bit overlong, some of the jokes don't land, yet there is a whole lot of fun to be had here. The Mitchells vs. the Machines is an animated movie coming out from a major studio that feels like it was made because people actually wanted to tell a story that connected to their own humor and beliefs. Even when the result of that effort is flawed, I have to commend heart and effort like this when I see it. The cast is all clearly having a great time, and it's neat to see Danny McBride in likely his most complex role even if it is animated. (Also gotta love the inclusion of Eric Andre, you get some nice Andre noises in here.) Maya Rudolph, Abbi Jacobson, and Beck Bennett and Fred Armisen have to be the standouts with their roles otherwise, though the true king of the film as he's even once called is Monchi, an immediate candidate for one of my favorite cartoon dogs. Dog, pig, loaf, some mix of that, he's great. Most of the best jokes in here come from the film's unique visual style, reminiscent of Into the Spider-Verse in its vibrancy and fluidity. 2-D is mixed in with 3-D to punctuate action sequences, funny lines, and emotional bits all in equal measure, making all three better with their inclusion. I had a period where I considered going to film school for college before buckling down for certain with psychology. Sometimes I still think about it, yet I still feel confident in that career field, even if I am now hitting a bump in the road with my education. A gap year won't be too bad, just different, only recently dawned on me that this'll be the first major period in my life where I won't be doing some bit of formal schooling. That's a bit scary, yet I know I have my family, and like the Mitchells, they're not perfect, but I love them, and they love me. Already calling that I won't mind if this becomes an Oscar-winning flick.

7/10