Your Name.

Your Name. ★★★★

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle

200TH REVIEW

Your Name is at times emotion incarnate. The concept of emotion itself embodied into physical form. Emotion can vary. Happiness, sadness, anger, disgust, fear, anticipation, surprise, trust, etc. Yet all come from the same place deep down within us. It can allow those who seem to not be related in the slightest find a connection. Things like gender, race, politics, economics, and location don't matter. We are all driven by emotion. We can connect, if not through anything else, then through the basic human ability to feel. Though I didn't personally get as much of a gut-punch as many others did, it's hard to resist the wonderfully written and voice-acted characters, the beautiful visuals, and a great soundtrack that ranges from somber piano themes to bombastic rock songs.

Though I could talk at length about Your Name, I feel like I want to keep this relatively short. The film didn't have as strong of an impact as I was lead to think, but multiple aspects of it still blew me away. It gets a high recommendation for an intriguing take on a romance/time travel film. (Yep, I had no idea that last aspect was even in the movie until watching it.) Instead, I truly more so want to discuss the themes of the film. Time in the film is described as a series of strings. They all interconnect with one another but follow their own routes. Some strings mean different things. Some are larger and longer than others. We are all interconnected even if we don't realize it.

Akin to Mary and Max, I admire the film having a strong positive outlook on long-distance relationships. One could argue that the entire film is one big allegory for them. Considering that Mary and Max is my favorite film and I hold my friends from these relationships near and dear to me, this aspect of Your Name resonated with me. Geological distance or even the distance of time cannot stop a strong relationship. It can try, certainly. But love, just like life, will find its way. I'll admit that I am currently writing this review several hours after seeing the film. Something came up where I wasn't able to write my review immediately after the movie like I normally do. Because of that, I lost most of what I wanted to talk about. I have a feeling this could get a second viewing very soon, and I plan to be a lot more elaborate about it whenever that comes. Like I said, very good movie overall. Check it out.

So, if you saw at the beginning of this, Your Name is my 200th review. I'm also nearing the one year anniversary of my time on Letterboxd as well as being close to 500 followers. In my own humble opinion, that last part came a lot faster than I was anticipating. I want to thank all of my followers as well as anyone that just scrolls past my work and maybe gives it the occasional like. Letterboxd has easily been one of the most entertaining aspects of the last year of my life. I love film, and this was really my first way of expressing my admiration of the art-form to anyone around the world. Yet again, here we have love breaking the barrier of distance. Perhaps all things truly are connected, even art and life.

I'd like to leave you with an excerpt from one of my personal favorite songs, a song that has a bizarrely strong connection to Your Name. Looking at the lyrics and thinking of the events in the film, you'd think the song was written for it if you didn't know any better. You can also click on the lyrics to listen to the song for yourself. It's titled "Lost in Time" by the criminally underrated early-2000's rock group Stellastarr*. Thank you as always and here's to another 200. Cheers.

These haunted dreams are brushed aside
We'll meet again
Another life

I tried to say I miss you tonight
And they claim you've already died
But the truth is that we're lost in time

We're lost in time
We're lost in time
We're losing time
Time...

(Wait, I actually have two more things I would like to share. First, when I do reach 500 followers, I'd like to do a Q/A. I think a way of my followers getting to know me better is a good way to celebrate. I'll likely be setting that up with a list detailing my personal favorite people on the site, simultaneously making it a celebration for me and you as well. Second, I just started a YouTube channel where I plan to often upload various song mashups I create using a very easy-to-use website. If you'd be into hearing mediocre song mashups, give my channel a visit by clicking here, which directs you to my current favorite mashup. Once more, cheers.)

8.5/10