Day of the Dead ★★★★

"We're bein' punished by the Creator. He visited a curse on us. So that man could look at... what Hell was like. Maybe He didn't want to see us blow ourselves up, put a big hole in the sky. Maybe He just wanted to show us He's still the Boss Man. Maybe He figure, we was gettin' too big for our britches, tryin' to figure His shit out."

George A. Romero brought character studies and social commentary about the nature of human beings in isolation, toxic masculinity in military and how they abuse their military power, utopic vision of scientific research and how inhuman they can go, and how toxic and lack of credence of men's point of view towards women at work field (he's been woke since day one, so that's no surprises of him) through these last heroes on earth. He dug deeper in character study than the two predecessor of the franchise (Night of The Living dead and Dawn of The Dead), brought the same concept and gave some answers. He talked about two different sides in one place, Scientific side and Military side, and how they were unable to join forces and built the common goal.

Each side has different ways to tackle their paranoia. And slowly their inhuman sides were showing up the surface, making them gasped in hopelessness and disbelief. And how it led them to make their own chaotic condition from toxic communication. This is the part where Romero talked about social commentary about inhumanity of human from scientific side and military side.

He made the clashes between these two sides more intriguing than ever. And the most interesting part is, he brought one neutral witness here: a zombie named Bub. This is what I love the most in this movie, how human is becoming more inhuman in this cabin fever condition, and one zombie is starting to learn to become human again. The result? See it for yourself.

Bub for President of The Apocalypse Nation!

Irwan liked these reviews