Interstellar ★★★★

Back on the director's chair in his first film after the conclusion of The Dark Knight trilogy, Christopher Nolan returns with the gigantic space-epic, Interstellar. The co-writer and director takes us on a journey through the vastness of space as we follow a group of scientists who are trying to save mankind from extinction.

The story takes place in the future, where we see that humans are now living a more agricultural life due to a decrease of the crop yield thanks to an unnamed blight. People are living by what they grow, but at the same time, they know it's not going to last forever, and one day, humans will cease to exist. This is when we meet our main character, Cooper played by Matthew McConaughey. An ex NASA engineer turned farmer, Cooper along with his daughter, Murphy, discover a secret location, which he will later find out to be the remains of his old employers, NASA. They offer him a proposition to pilot a spacecraft called Endurance, and go on a quest to find a suitable new planet for humans to live on.

I thought that the plot of Interstellar was incredibly interesting, and it managed to keep me gripped throughout the entire three hour runtime of the film. But the script did have its faults. For starters, the writing had absolutely no subtlety in it. Everything was spelled out to the viewer to the point that it got a bit annoying. Cooper is this very intelligent and bright engineer, who has worked with NASA and was basically hand picked to pilot the biggest space mission in the history of man, yet he still needs to be told how wormholes work?! It just didn't make sense. It's convenient for the viewer, but it takes you out of the film.

And then there's some downright weird character traits that left me rolling my eyes. When you have a mission as big as this, and the scientists know that the existence of the entire human species is at stake, it doesn't make any sense for a brilliant woman of science to be willing to jeopardise everything, just so she can see her boyfriend, who may or may not be dead.

It may seem like I'm nitpicking, but I'm truly not. Little inconveniences like these did take me out of the experience, and that's the last thing you would want to happen in a film like this. But I also don't want to give the impression that the entire script was bad, because it's not. As I said the story was very intriguing, the characters were, for the most part, well written, and there were also some funny lines, as well as a few touching scenes.

Luckily, the film's technical prowess overshadows all the flaws with the writing, and gives us an excellent audio and visual blend that really does take us to another world. Christopher Nolan shines with his amazing directing capabilities in Interstellar, giving the film a gorgeous look to it that is worthy of being shown on the biggest screen you can find.

The great Hoyte van Hoytma worked as the cinematographer, and he absolutely nailed it. His work really did capture the grandeur of space, sucking us straight to the outer depths of the universe. The extraterrestrial planets looked insanely good, whether they're covered in snow, coating the screen with shades of white, or there's an enormous, mammoth of a wave that fills our eyes with water, and our hearts with fear. You can only describe it as awesome.

On top of that, legendary composer, Hans Zimmer, continues his successful working relationship with Christopher Nolan, with what could very well be his best work to date, as the music for Interstellar is wonderful, breathtaking, and powerful.

Interstellar houses an impressive cast who give great performances across the board. Mathew McConaughey has proved that his recent successes were not a fluke, by delivering a near perfect performance. Along side him was Anne Hathaway who I'm generally not a big fan of. Luckily, she did a very good job portraying Amelia Brand, a biotechnologist who is accompanying Cooper on the journey. Her father, Professor John Brand, was played by Nolan films regular, Michael Caine, who give the standard Michael Caine performance we've come to expect from him. Arguably, the last big character was played very well by Jessica Chastain, acting the role of Cooper's daughter, Murphy.

It says a lot about the cast that people like Casey Affleck, Wes Bentley, John Lithgow, and David Oyelowo have such small parts in the film. It's definitely a star-studded film.

At it's core, Interstellar is a film about the relationship between a man and his daughter. How that man would go to such extreme depths (quite literary) to save his daughter and the entire race along with her. The power of love is a very strong thing according to the film, maybe too much so. But in the end, the man loves his daughter, and that is something which is very relatable.

All in all, I think Interstellar is a great film. A tighter script would have propelled Interstellar into legendary heights, but as it stands, it's an incredibly entertaining film, that is visually satisfying. It may have not met my, admittedly, high expectations, but it's still a film that I have no problem recommending and re-watching.