Zodiac

Zodiac ★★★★★

Directed by: David Fincher
—————————————————————————
     Wow. This movie was an example of some of the best acting and directing I’ve ever seen. The amount of buildup and suspense in this movie just blew me away. It was without a doubt, scarier than any horror film I’ve seen. And the fact that It’s accurate to the real story isn’t even what makes it so terrifying. I mean, sure, that is a big factor at play, but the cast is what brings it the film to life, everyone did a phenomenal job, most notably being Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal, the two really stood out to me, their performances here are probably their best work. As far as the story goes, it’s incredible, there wasn’t a single moment where I felt bored. Honestly, this might tie with Fight Club (1999) for me in terms of David Fincher’s filmography. I think I like Fight Club a little more though just because of the dynamic between Edward Norton and Brad Pitt.

The cinematography and score also drive the movie’s unsettling, kind of sinking feeling. In the basement scene where he switches off the light and the music just stops, completely relying solely on atmosphere to drive the scene. The entire movie has this very eerie vibe to it, present in a lot of psychological horror. While this movie was more thriller, it still reminded me of the horror genre, and was very reminiscent in style of movies I am very fond of.

Another amazing film from David Fincher and a new personal favorite. Acting, score, and atmosphere all are excellent, making this movie nothing short of a masterpiece.

“This is the Zodiac speaking.” - The Zodiac