Fyre ★★★½

I remember feeling a fascinating sense of schadenfreude when the controversy over Fyre Festival happened. I was browsing social media and Reddit reading about what a bunch of rich people were going through in the Bahamas. So when Netflix released their documentary (and Hulu as well, but I'll watch that next), I was looking forward to a potential skewering of image obsessed, social media influenced people who got duped.

What I got from Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, was a well-produced and eye-opening recounting of what happened that led to the festival. Or lack thereof. Featuring candid interviews with several people involved in the organizing of the event, Fyre provides us with a ticking time bomb of a chronology of events. The film very smartly begins by showing us the promotional video that was shot for Fyre Festival. It showcases how this event gained the traction it did. It also somewhat absolves the people who paid exorbitant fees to go to Fyre Festival from the ridicule they received after the fact.

More importantly, Fyre documents the fraud that occurred in the organization of the festival. It also paints the head organizer, Billy McFarland, as a sociopathic harbinger of doom and narcissism. It's a hard position to dispute, given the massive amounts of candid video that the documentary utilizes.

Fyre is a really solid documentary recounting this public disaster. It also highlights the financial toll it took on contractors in the Bahamas that were hired for the festival but never paid.

Reviewed in episode 270 of The Obsessive Viewer Podcast: OV270 - FYRE (Netflix) & Fyre Fraud (Hulu) - Bryan Singer Atlantic Expose, QB1: Beyond the Lights, and On the Basis of Sex